November 18, 2009

Why whisky

When it comes to spirits, whisky is my first choise, and when I choose to blog, it’s about whisky. Why is that so? there are several reasons:

  1. I am a beer drinker. Allways has been, allways will be, I hope. Beer and whisky is related in taste and in origin. Beer is made from malted barley, hops and yeast, at least the light pilsner that is the beer of choise here in Norway. Whisky from malted barley and yeast.
  2. I want my spirits to taste, and taste a lot. While the trend amon cognac and brandy drinkers is to praise the smoothness of it, I want my hard liquor to taste hard liquor, not something else. Even though I do appreciate smooth liquor, the complexety of whisky is what I appreciate the most.
  3. Scotland. After a couple of visits to Edinburgh, I do love Scotland. The many pubs, at least of Edinburgh, the hospitality of the people and the fun of goiing out there. It’s also in Scotland that I’ve had the pleasure of visiting destilleries and getting insight in the process of making this excellent water of life.
  4. But most of all, it’s the diverity of the drink. The nature of the process influences the taste on so many levels, giving Scotch Whisky so many incarnations. The difference between different whisky is what makes it so interesting. Two of my favourites are Ardbeg and Highland Park. Both are great whiskies, but the difference could possibly not be greater. What they has in common is a rich palate with a diversity in taste. But they are so different.
    Another reason for choosing Highland Park is that I can’t enjoy the peaty Islay malts in company with my wife, she hates the smell of them, and me, when drinking them, so much so that I am not allowed to enjoy them in the company of her.

I do enjoy other liquors as well of course; when in greece I drink Metaxa and Ouzo, after a good dinner I often get to enjoy a good cognac, or brany and at X-mas, as a true Norwegian, I enjoy my Aquavit. But my usual first choise of drink will allways be whisky.

No comments:

Post a Comment