February 23, 2011

Ardbeg 10 year old

_IGP6489

Ardbeg is my favourite distillerie and was among the distilleries visited when on Islay in 2010. The distillery has a long history but was finally reopened, after an uncertain period dating back to the closing in 1981, in 1997.

Ardbeg is known for it’s peaty, smoky expressions, and this 10 year old is no exception. They are also known for their expressions without age statements, due to a limited stock of older whiskies and good quality younger stock. Among these is the Uigeadail, my #1 choise, more on that in a later post. I have tasted most of the Ardbeg whiskies, and have yet to find one I do not like.

The 10 year old was finally launched in 2008, after a period of waiting expressions like: Very Young, Still Young and Allmost There. All good whiskies and hard to come by today.

You will allways find this in my whisky cabinet, as it is a lot of whisky for the price, and it has all the characteristics that i prefer in a whisky. It really tastes coastal, with tastes of tar, seaweed, smoke and peat. Is well rounded and complex at the same time.

But as usual, don’t take my word for it, as I’m quite subjective when it comes to Ardbeg:

That’s it for now, two posts in one day isn’t bad. SKÅL

No comments:

Post a Comment